Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Live at the Montague Arms

I mentioned WMFU's collection of London songs last week, looking around its archive I find that as a public service they have also uploaded for your listening pleasure recordings of 'The Two Petes', legendary house band at the Montague Arms in New Cross since the early 1970s. Included is an unbelievable medley of Macarthur Park with 70s instrumental popcorn which really does have to be heard to be believed, not to mention a cover of Neil Young's After the Goldrush 'in a club style' as Vic Reeves used to say.


More about these records here. I haven't been down to the pub on a Sunday afternoon for a while - are they still going strong?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! My friend Scott Taylor, who actually contributed those recordings didn't even know WFMU had put them up until two minutes ago!

Public service, that's what this blog is....

Anonymous said...

...and it is certainly still going strong. There's quite a bit of competition from the Amersham, but I do a night there every third thursday of the month - the TICKET that EXPLODED (it's our Xmas party tomorrow night -20th Dec)
http://www.myspace.com/ticketthatexploded. I'm heading there for xmas dinner on sunday too. Love the blog, by the way, thanks.
PS: Very odd to see those old shots of the keyboard player and drummer. Strange, as they look very similar to their characatures in the strips they have pasted up above the bar of those two in their '70s heyday.They do indeed still play every Saturday night - usually to a pretty small crowd, I hate to say.

. said...

Hi Iain, are you the same Iain involved in Rubbish & Nasty? If so what's the latest on Goldsmiths evicting it?

Anonymous said...

Nah, a different Iain - but I've been asked that before.
I emailed before, we used to rent a studio in the Seager Distillery. Incidently, we used to rehearse in Rubbish & nasty - before we were told they were getting evicted...which doesn't seem to have happened.....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for WMFU for posting this classic, and you for drawing my attention to it. I have enjoyed their shows many times, but had not realised they actually released records. I fondly remember their version of Wonderwall in particular.
Last time I was at the Montague [about a year ago] Peter London played a short solo set. Classic.